Responsive First: Design and Build a Site for All Devices
Date: Monday, March 19, 2012
Session Time: 9:00am-6:00pm
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Need more info? Check out the Training 101 page for more!
*Please note this workshop is now sold-out.
Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list. However, the Drupal Association is collecting names for interest in future training sessions.
Want to develop your wireframes, markup, CSS, content strategy, and rich media content with Responsive in mind, from day one? Do your Drupal themes work on all devices, regardless of size or browser complexity? This hands-on, "You Can Do It!" training course will teach you how to create and theme a responsive site in Drupal. Four Kitchens' web chefs will show you:
- The past, present, and future of responsive design
- Why you must know how to do this (fun video!)
- How to create a responsive layout
- How to plan for content delivery and make the site do the work
- @media queries and HTML/CSS conventions
- How to implement your plan in the Drupal theme layer
You will leave with *essential* skills, a strong foundation for further learning, and a smile on your face.
Who will gain the most from this course?
This course covers essential skills for themers and designers as front-end development moves, assuredly, towards responsive. Developers will benefit from a strong understanding of the implementation. UX and IA professionals are an integral part of the responsive planning process (not an after thought!). Attendess who have some foundational techxpertise (see pre-requisites), will not only benefit from this course but guide their teams to better planning and implementation.
What will you learn?
You will build a website for the Web Chef Cafe that delivers a satisfying experience (both content and design) across multiple devices. Along the way, you'll learn how to:
- Plan and implement a “mobile first” design
- Lay out a fluid design structure
- Handle images and rich content in multiple devices
- Implement @media queries
- Create a responsive Drupal theme
What will you receive during the course?
Each attendee with have access to a development site. The site includes all necessary assets and content so they can jump into the hands-on exercises. The site will stay up for 30 days after the training. We post all links and resources on our website, an email address for follow-up questions, and an Etherpad to share questions and markup during (and after) the training.
Pre-requisites for the course
To attend, you must be skilled in:
- Accessing a development site when given FTP credentials
- Editing with a tool like Coda, Vim, or Textmate
- HTML and CSS
- Drupal theming (can build from a sub theme)
You must bring your own laptop.