Making the Switch to Drupal: The Developer's View
Date: Monday, March 19, 2012
Session Time: 9:00am-6:00pm
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Need more info? Check out the Training 101 page for more!
This day long course is an introduction to Drupal 7 for experienced Developers who are new to Drupal. Through hands-on activities, you'll get a distillation of the most essential concepts in Drupal. The instructors (Jeff Beeman, Josh Brauer, Chris Porter), all well versed in mentoring experienced developers who are new to Drupal will provide attendees with a fast on-ramp to best practices and proper development techniques to become more efficient. We've written a little blog about this course, as well as a (silly) video. Enjoy. ;)
Who will gain the most from this course?
Experienced Developers who are new to Drupal.
What will you learn?
At the end of this course, participants will be able to...
- Identify typical skills needed for and tools used in Drupal development
- Explain the Drupal page model and articulate what an example page in a Drupal site constitutes.
- Articulate the benefits of a ‘configuration before coding’ approach to development;
- Understanding how to pick the right modules as well as where and when to employ custom code in module or theme development.
- Understand how to design flexible, scalable content types, views, and taxonomies.
- Be able to navigate the Drupal community and find help, collaborators and opportunities.
What will you receive during the course?
Printed Manual, code samples. Also, after the course, we're organizing a group check-in on Wednesday or Thursday so that we can make sure you're getting the most out of DrupalCon, and that our training has stuck with you. Registered attendees will get info about this hang (we'll buy the first round). PLUS - a coupon for 1 month of free access to Drupalize.me, the video learning resource created by Lullabot, an Acquia partner, and Platinum sponsor of DrupalCon.
Pre-requisites for the course
This course will appeal to those who are experienced with web development in languages such as PHP, Java, or .NET, and knowledgeable about HTML and CSS. No prior experience of Drupal required.
About our instructors
We're pleased to have 3 fantastic instructors for this course - Jeff Beeman, Josh Brauer & Chris Porter. All three have backgrounds in education and training and bring that in combination with a passion and deep knowledge of Drupal. If anyone can help you make the switch, these three can do so.