Drupal Powered E-commerce with Drupal Commerce
Date: Monday, March 19, 2012
Session Time: 9:00am-6:00pm
Breakfast and Lunch will be provided.
Need more info? Check out the Training 101 page for more!
Drupal Commerce is an e-commerce framework built from the ground up on Drupal 7, Views, and Rules. Its core modules provide the building blocks and systems you need to develop any type of e-commerce site. By making as few hard-coded assumptions about your business needs as possible, Drupal Commerce enables you to customize every aspect of the shopping experience through the Drupal user interface or your own module-based customizations.
Commerce Guys' Drupal Powered E-commerce training is designed to help you learn how to implement Drupal Commerce for your next e-commerce project. The format is an alternating series of lessons introducing new concepts or features and practice sessions to help you solidify your understanding of how to use them.
Together we will build an example store, walking through all the features the core modules provide:
- Adding multiple types of products for sale
- Customizing Add to Cart forms, Shopping Cart views, and the Checkout form
- Granting discounts and collecting taxes through Rules
- Collecting and tracking payment of various methods
We will also provide an overview of available contributed modules, showing you how to extend your site to include shipping quotes for physical products, stock control for quantity limited products, file downloads, coupons, an address book, and more.
While we won't dive deep into the code, we will still provide a behind-the-scenes look at how Drupal Commerce works. Our trainers on hand are all developers who have worked with the Drupal Commerce code, and they will be happy to address any topic in further detail during the practice exercise time.
Who Will Gain the Most From this Course?
This course is intended for anyone who wants to build e-commerce sites on Drupal 7. The subject matter is itself more advanced than basic site building topics, but we still try to make the material accessible to new users who are just getting started with e-commerce on Drupal and interesting for advanced users who want to dig deep into the architecture of Drupal Commerce.
What Will You Learn?
Students who complete our course will learn:
- What building blocks and core systems Drupal Commerce provides
- How to configure Drupal Commerce to sell simple products, products with attributes, and customizable products
- What happens when products are added to the cart
- How to apply discounts and collect taxes using product pricing rules
- How to customize the shopping cart and checkout experience
- What additional features are provided by contributed modules like payment methods, shipping quotes, stock tracking, an address book, and file downloads
- How to contribute to Drupal Commerce
What Will You Receive During the Course?
We provide a handbook that students use to follow along and use for notes and practice exercises.
Pre-requisites for the Course
You should at least be familiar with the following modules and their interfaces from Drupal 6: CCK, Views, and Rules. You will get much more out of the training if you come into it with Drupal 7 experience, even if it doesn't include Views or Rules experience on Drupal 7 yet.